27 June, 2006

The Timless Island 3

After so many days of rain and thick clouds, the sun is peeking out in Tokyo day. After all, there is nothing better than the sun. I checked the weather forecast and it says that it won’t rain for a couple of days… but that also means that it will rain the following days :-( Many clothing brands are starting summer clearance this weekend and I was looking forward to them… too bad. Although, maybe, I’ll have some chances of going around the stores smoother than on sunny days cuz people might not want to come out of their houses…!

OK, back to the exciting island story :-)
Being wrapped by the Okinawa seawater… if I exaggerate that feeling, it was as though the mother earth was hugging me.

I wasn’t sure if it was because the fish were fearless or if they were accustomed to being fed from mal-mannered divers, dozens of fish in brilliant colors came to me like we were friends. Yellow, blue, white solid ones, white and black striped ones, big ones tiny ones… many swam around me. And right in front of my eyes were clown fish like Nemo and the huge yellow sweetlips.

I popped my head out to breathe fresh air, dived and breathed and dived so many times enjoying the sea. There were times when I swam as fast as I could to get away from a sea serpent, and also times when I was drawn to the charm of the crabs with bonbons in their claws (they’re actually seaweed).

And the Sata Andagi… man, they were so good after swimming! Even though I had my snorkels on, my mouth was salty anyway. Well the mild sweet taste of the brown sugar of the doughnut created a marvelous balance with the salt, and the sugar just soothed down the fatigue.
Together with the doughnuts I had this tea called Sampin Tea. It’s jasmine tea and is the most common tea you can get anywhere in Okinawa. If you leave your juice and soda out even in the shade, it gets luke warm and kind of nasty to drink but the warmness of the tea and moreover the fragrance of the tea was very relaxing.

As we relaxed we could tell that the sun was ready to go down… but I think I’ll stop here for today.

Tonight we have the World Cup match between France and Spain!! But I can’t watch it cuz it won’t be on terrestrial TV :-( You can imagine what tomorrow’s blog is gonna be like!


The picture is of Sampin Tea. I think it just came out in this area for the first time this year. They kind of sell it in bottles like this outside of Okinawa this time of year, and it really makes me want to go back to Okinawa again. Well, I guess that’s what they want!

No comments: