30 June, 2006

The Timeless Island 5

The weather looks pretty shaky but it’s holding on at the moment. I hope it stays this way (at least) until I safely get back. Last day of June… crazy hot.

Since last week we have started this new seasonal topic titled BLAST IN JAPAN SUMMER 2006 and it features summer festivals and fireworks going on all across Japan during summer vacation (namely July and August). We haven’t really covered the whole of Japan yet cuz we only have Kanto region (the periphery of Tokyo) and Kansai region (periphery of Osaka & Kyoto), but we are going to introduce our visitors the exciting events in Japan for July and August in advance to summer break (and we’d better rush cuz vacation’s nearing!). So those of you living in Japan or considering of traveling to Japan some time soon, do come have a look!! :-) Oh, and if you have any suggestions on what you would like to know or want us to search for you, suggest us here or give me an e-mail via Japan Mode! I wish I had some efficient and effective way of doing marketing.

But this blog is not a place to do market research as much as it’s a place for me to write about Okinawa’s islands… and so the story goes on.


All of us staying at the little B&B had dinner together at the terrace on the top of the inn building.
The food in Okinawa is a bit different from food elsewhere in Japan in many aspects, and I guess the most different point that I noticed was the color. One of the reasons for this is because the colors of the fish are different… it’s not very usual for me to see fish in vivid green and blue spread out on the table. The other thing is that they use a lot of pork. It is even said in Okinawa “eat everything but a pig’s hoofs and oink” and they really do so by cooking from its head to the very tips of its feet. And last but not least, Champloo, some stir-fried vegetables with rather hard Okinawan tofu.

There was nothing to complain about. I mean, the food was wonderful itself but with the marvelous sunset and cheery people around you… how better could it be?

The other guests at the B&B at this time of year (and this was in mid-May) coming all the way to this tiny isolated island were mostly divers, and they told me stories after stories how wonderful the sea of Kerara is. What I noticed is that because they go deeper than my 4 meters, the inside seascape they see is so much different from what I learned that day. It sounded like they know a totally different world under the calm sea. I have never experienced real diving yet, but I feel like I would feel more comfortable without wearing anything heavy in that sea. Although, I’m pretty sure I’d be like “This is awesome!” when I really go diving down to deeper level, lol.

I guess it’s so different… like perhaps the difference is as big as comparing curry and ramen :p I can’t choose either one, I have to have both. Don’t you have that kind of food in your culture?

Anyway, because of the hunger that came from playing around in the water all day long I ate so much more than my limit, so as soon as I got back to my room I lied down and a strangely comfortable kind of fatigue covered my body.
I was tired but felt really good… it was the kind of tiredness that you get after you do something meaningful and I felt as though my body was melting away into the floor.

After a while, my friend suggested we go out to see some noctiluca. Have any of you seen noctiluca before? It’s written in Japanese, night – light – bugs.

Next week I will tell you about the amazing night in the isolated island that makes you feel eternity.
But I don’t know… maybe I’ll get back to soccer again cuz there’s France against Brazil… :-D

No comments: