03 July, 2006

The “Bleu” Weekend

And here they go again!!
Who saw the match!? Hooray Le Bleu!! That’s the way to go!!
They’ve won the ticket to the semifinals… from the champion of champions Brazil! How more excited can I be!? We have all the matches beyond quarterfinals on ground wave so I could see the match of fate from the beginning all the way to the very end, and I did not miss one second of it. Because I didn’t have many chances to see France’s previous matches on ground wave during this World Cup, I was already too excited just to be able to watch one.
Just like any quarterfinal match this too was a match of high skills and strategy, so although it seemed to me that France led the match more than Brazil did, I could never rest my feelings cuz you just never know when Brazil’s strikes would explode!! I was so nervous during the match that after the first half ended 0-0 I couldn’t sit still and ended up going out for a short walk.

The flow from Zidane’s FK to Henry’s shot in the latter half was just excellent. It was absolutely beautiful. How could Henry jump out unmarked? What was Brazil’s DF doing? It was really amazing.
In the end Brazil had Cafu as their captain but my view is that one of the reasons for Brazil’s defeat was the inability to set one or two players as the real core of the match. I think that they did a good job against lower ranked teams with their individual high techniques, but even those skills and techniques weren’t as good as the Frenchmen’s unity of the world’s best DF players. In that sense, the match could have looked similar if they played against Italy. Well, too many talents in one team, I think.

On the other hand, Zidane was captain and center of the match, quite easy right? This way the ones with experiences on top of skills could move around making their strategy effective and didn’t leave space for the Brazilians to show their individualistic plays. That’s the way I see it, now that I’m a bit more settled excitement-wise. All I could do while the match was going on – especially the last ten minutes – was to have my eyes glued to the TV monitor and pray for the victory of France at the same time I danced with excitement and joy.

Actually, I can’t even remember the moment of victory cuz I was way too excited. After a while I suddenly realized that I had made a mess in my room with uniforms and all that :p

Coming next, Portugal! Quite energetic and most of all the great man Figo! Just the perfect team to play against. And who can miss Italy versus Germany!? Is Germany going to show its power as the host country? Or is Italy going to stand in front of them with their favorite catenaccio? The matches from now on are all going to be broadcasted from 4:00 in the morning… can I watch all of them!? And would I still be able to come to work!? And when is the Okinawa thing going to end? Keep your eyes on my scribbling here!

No comments: