04 October, 2006

Experiencing Okinawa Typhoon

I am really coming down with a nasty cold and I was so going to go home early BUT more work was being piled up on my desk and I ended up leaving office the same as usual... which is almost midnight. So so, I am feeling wiped out, heavy and dull from the cold and drowsy from the pills.

Even though I was tires, I couldn’t help buying the Goya (bitter gourd) champloo cooked with pork luncheon meat and that made me a bit happy :-)

So the story goes on:

I knew the mammoth typhoon was there and I knew it was a killer one but I could not waste a day staying inside – after all, this was my long-waited vacation!! With a strong commitment I went outside with my friends... only to find out that local people were out just like they’d be on a normal rainy day. Even the rain and wind weren’t as bad as they looked from inside, and there seemed to be no big deal going out for a walk.

What surprised me the most were the stores: they only had plastic sheets covering whatever they were selling, and besides that they were operating completely normally. I know it’s quite a distance from where people lost power and their houses are flooded, but still I couldn’t believe that this was the same Okinawa and how people here prepared for the strongest typhoon in ten years... I would have to convince myself that they are simply used to it, I guess. They’ve been dealing with typhoon since the ancient days.

We had some taco rice and went back to the dormitory.
The typhoon didn’t get too bad. Rain and wind were slightly stronger at midnight but nothing more. Go figure :P

And now we go on to the third day. My cold is becoming so bad – worse than the typhoon so I think I’m off for today.

No comments: