11 May, 2006

Breakfast at School

Some elementary and secondary schools in Japan apparantly started this new "service" to provide their students breakfast in school. The education board discovered that a good portion of the students come to school without having breakfast before they leave their houses, and are facing difficulties such as lack of concentration and mal-nutrition.

Although they say "breakfast" it's not a full meal and what they serve are milk, cheese and perhaps some crackers (I'm not sure about the cracker part :P) but this is for sure the very first attempt of the kind in Japan.

Sounds like a good service at a glance, but think it the other way, it means that their families are kind of lacking ability to properly feed their kids, right? I understand that teenagers are hard to handle especially for parents cuz a lot of teenagers don't want to be told this and that by their parents around that age. Well I think it's a good attempt, but isn't this like putting the cart before the horse?

The school says that by raising the issue in a more tangible form and trying to improve the concentration etc problems of the students, they want the students' families to realize the problem and work together to make things better, but is it only me who think that some parents might depend on the school more?

Who raises the kids? Parents or schools?
Even if they provide breakfast at school, it's not as good as providing them love I think (not to say that schools don't have love for their students, and not to say that the parents don't always love their kids).

Don't take this wrong! I just want to say how much I realize it's love that raises children.

Huh me? I'd love it if my office provided me with breakfast :)

No comments: