22 February, 2006

Do you get delay proofs?

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP....
?
Is something trying to wake me up?

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP....
Chill! What the hell is it!?
Oh, it's my alarm.

I got up and switched off the alarm on my mobile and went back to bed.

By the time I got up again, I realized I'm almost late for work.
I was like shit! and jumped out of my bed, took a shower and had breakfast (can't miss breakfast no matter how late I am) and rushed out of my house.

Then I sped my bike to the limit, got irritated by the long line to get into the bike parking and finally set off to the station.

And then I flashed my eyes to the electrical bulletin board to see if I caught the train... and found out the board is dead. Nothing appeared on the board, and from my past experiences I instantly understood what was going on.

Damn, the train's running late!
I was late for work, now for sure.

Although, I wasn't feeling that bad cuz I did have an excuse and something to prove my excuse to be just.

As I went up to the platform, I saw this herd of people like hyenas going for their meal. They're all trying to snatch the delay proof distributed by the station staffs.

The station staffs distributed the tiny pieces of paper as if boasting out loud, "this is your indulgence for tardy!" "Shut up your boss's fuss with this!" or "you're sin is forgiven!"

I often hear that delays or tardies are regarded differently in Japan and elsewhere.
There's a typical preconception that Japanese get irritated by 2-3 minutes of delay... which is quite true.
People are like, "time is money! hurry up!" everywhere in this small country. Perhaps Japanese have to rush yourself and feel like something's urging you to move forward?

I don't know but to some extent I feel it's true that Japanese are fussy and shortsighted, especially when I see the delay proofs written by five minutes starting from five.

Sometimes I wish Japan was a country with more and more generous and unstrained people.But at the same time of feeling so, I stuck out the delay proof to my boss's face with an expression of triumph on my face, and that's how my day begins.


No comments: