20 February, 2006

Fighting with stomatitis

I easily get stomatitis since I was really little. Even a little scratch inside my mouth would immediately become a huge pain that lasts for days.

For these past couple of weeks I had the deadliest days having several at the same time. It's ok now cuz the pain has finally gone, but b/c it was so serious I even thought for a moment that I had mouth cancer.

Someone once told me that brushing teeth for 10 minutes is a good way to prevent stomatitis but I got tired of it after some days cuz it was sooo boring and troublesome. Changing toothbrushes and toothpastes didn't help at all. There's another one that sounds pretty common, which is to gargle after brushing your teeth, with a special kind of liquid that prevents cavities and stomatitis.

These two, in short, tells you to keep disinfecting bacteria and to keep your mouth clean.
But for someone like me, who gets stomatitis so easily with the smallest trigger like lack of sleep or a tiny bite, I don't really believe these methods work so effectively.

Yesterday I went to the drugstore looking for the latest medicine to cure stomatitis. Among the most common cream application, I found something like a little bandaid in which you stick it on top of the stomatitis. Wow, how attractive that was to me. I took it in my hand and flipped it over to read the back.... and was disappointed by the note saying:

"This patch DOES NOT melt. Do not swallow after use."

Yeah right. Go figure.

In my case, I so perfectly inherited the constitution from my dad (who of course is a life-long bearer of stomatitis)... or at least I believe so.
Well that doesn't really matter as long as my body doesn't change... but it is a huge problem for me cuz when I get them, meals and snacks become nothing but torture.

There's this Japanese folk remedy for stomatitis, which you toast kombu seaweed, grind it and paste it on your stomatitis.
WHY SEAWEED? MINERAL?
Folk remedies... they're always kind of weird, right? Don't know if it works... don't think I want to try it.

If you know some remedy that really really works, PLEASE tell me!

No comments: