16 February, 2006

The Olympic Games made me think about TV shows.

It's been almost a week since the Torino Winter Olympic Games have started. Results for Japan... unfortunately pretty dreadful... C'mon, where're our medals!?

Since the last World Cup Soccer, the authority of the media has been steadily growing in terms of worldwode sports games where national teams fight. The tv rights were dealed in big numbers even for the tune-up matches for the World Cup, and the matches are shown during the "Golden Hour" (7pm).

The enthusiasm of the mass media for the Torino Games is quite something, as expected. Special programs were broadcasted, gold medal expectations were shown on every channel available, the up-bringings and private lives of the athletes were featured with some dramatism... so on, so forth.

Tons of expectors fuel the national excitement with irresponsible (well, not always) medal forecast, but the results? Just as I have written in the very beginning :-(

Everyday what you see on TV after the miserable results is explanations (or put it differently, excuses) for the defeat and victory forecast for the upcoming games.
OK, this is boring me to death. I can't believe it's keeping up the Olympic fever. I feel like I want to see something that's purely cheering and nothing more :-I

Recently the Japanese TV industry is rottening with kitschy fake setups. It's all b/c of the stupid competition of viewing rate.

On the other hand there are voices (of program producers) arising here and there complaining that they can't freely make programs b/c human rights have been given more and more attention and care, and self regulation has gotten much much stricter.

The best part of the Olympic Games is the brightness of the athletes and their performances. Isn't it just that as long as the TV shows move the audience, they fulfill their role?

I don't mean to ask for absolutely no shows for defeat reasons. I'm just saying that b/c there are so many channels, there should be a variety in the programs they're making.


Is it just my age that the fascinating TV I saw when I was younger is now kind of colorless now...?

No comments: