10 February, 2006

"micka-boze"

In Japan we often use the word "mikka-bouzu" (pronounced [micka-boze]). It's used to jeer people who can't continue anything and gets bored very quickly. For example, you can use it for someone who decided to keep a diary on January first and can't have it going the next day... is this me? up to your imagination, lol
I bet you have your own way of expressing such situation or such people.
You sharp ones out there may notice that this is the third day of my blog. If I don't keep it going tomorrow, I'll end up being a micka-boze!!
So I'm tellin' ye beforehand, there'll be no update tomorrow! Why, of course! Tomorrow's a holiday!! Woohoo :-DAnd there'll be nothing the day after either. 'course it's Sunday.But I'm gonna do my best to have it going on weekdays, so do check back everyday!
Speaking of Japanese words, this "do one's best" is another weird dude. We say "gambatte!" for it. Perhaps some of you may know?

According to the dictionary, it means:
(1) to overcome difficulties with great effort to achieve a goale.g., "Gambatte I'll start my own company." or "Gambare! Don't lose!"
(2) to persist your opinion till the end; to be stubborne.g., "He's gambatte sticking to his say."
(3) to dominate some place; to not movee.g., "The guards are gambatteru at the entrance."

wow, didn't know it was this wide in meanings.Originally, (2) to persist, was the real meaing and it wasn't really a positive one, but since the announcer for live broadcast of the Berlin Olympic Games cheered swimmer Maehata "Gambare Maehata!" meaning "stick to yourself!", the term started to mean more of (1) rather than (2).

The Torino Winter Olympic Games start today!
GAMBARE NIPPON!!

No comments: