14 February, 2006

On Valentine’s Day

When I walk around the town at this time of year, I find a bunch of new kinds of chocolate candies coming out. I once heard that new ones come out because it’s cold outside and chocolates don’t melt. Whatever the reason, it doesn’t really matter.

I’m actually not a big chocolate lover, but I do eat cookie/ peanut-mixed chocolate or chocolate covered biscuits every once in a while.

Chocolate was okay… I mean, at least I don’t dislike it for its taste. It’s just that I always nosebled the next day I ate chocolate when I was still in grade school. I was just kind of afraid of it.
I don’t nosebleed anymore, but what was that?

Anyway, so ok, it’s Valentine’s Day today.
In Japan it’s such a queer day… and a BIG day especially for girls.
I think it’s more common in the West perhaps, for guys to give flowers or gifts to their girlfriends, right? Here it’s the exact opposite, and the flowers change to chocolate.
It’s not such a big deal for a girl to give chocolate to her boyfriend if she has one.
But the day becomes a day either of big love romance drama, or a day of heartbreak tragedy for a girl approaching the guy she secretly has feelings for. She’s gonna have to give him chocolate and wait for his reply.

Okay, so I’m a guy if I hadn’t told you yet.
When I was in school, I used to face this day with great anxiety and nervousness. You know, it still is a big day for guys, too. In a way, you’re gonna know how popular you are among girls.
I used to be like, “Will I get one from that girl???” and also stuck my hands inside my desk to see if I got any chocolate.
I know there are hundreds and thousands of youngsters out there feeling and doing the same thing :-)

Ooh, remember those days of sweet and bitter memory.
! Is that why chocolate is used? Sweet and bitter!?

Am I going to get one today? Yes or no, either way I’ll have a bit of chocolate and maybe look back at those green naïve days.
Girl’s and guys, HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY!!

No comments: