29 September, 2006

The Water of Sesoko 2

As we progressed into the water more and more, the water became clearer and could see some fish around. My two friends seemed to be enjoying their first snorkeling experience.

Because they looked ok and I wanted go in deeper and further, so I told them I’m going to go look what it’s like as if I was taking them later, and went out on my own.

The first and strongest impression I got from the water there was that I could see absolutely no trace of live coral. Perhaps they were covered with sand because of the strong waves and tide brought by the typhoon and I simply could’ve missed them, but it was sad.

Undoubtedly the water was so much clearer than that of Tokyo, but because some time ago I watched this show on TV that there have been projects to bring back coral around this area and supposedly the coral eggs from Kerama flow into this area I was expecting to see more coral.

I swam as many thoughts swirled in my mind, and then suddenly I saw this long figure swimming, or snaking right in front of me. Sea snake!! Although I do know that unless I mean harm to it, it won’t attack me, but it’s not really anything you feel lucky about seeing.

I turned around and went back to my friends: both of them looked a little tired so as I reported what it was like further off, we sat on the beach and appreciated the sata-andagi (Okinawa doughnuts) we bought at the supermarket before coming to the beach. Like I wrote a while ago, the salt inside my mouth fades away painted by the sugar of the andagi. It’s one of the best moments of life for me – having andagi while watching the ocean.

Then the sugar turns into energy in my body, and I thrust myself into the water again. This went on for a while over and over until finally people were gone and the sun as well. I wanted to watch the ocean turn orange and red and the sky too, but I did remember that since we cancelled the accommodation on the other island we were supposed to be on, we had to look for accommodation for that night.

So we turned around to get back to Naha. On the way back, I got an e-mail from my friend telling me, “It looks like the plane isn’t flying anywhere because of the typhoon. Sorry, but I can’t catch up with you guys this time.”

Wwwhaaat????
He lived in Tokyo until last month, but moved back to his hometown in Kyushu (that’s the biggest southernmost island of Japan) and we were supposed to meet up in Okinawa!
Why did this damn typhoon take away almost everything that I was looking forward to!?

I really felt powerless in front of the mighty power of nature, and got back to Naha in despair. The memory makes me feel a bit blue even now.

Uh so, that’s about it for today. I know it’s becoming a long series but I am going to finish writing, mixing some other stories too.

No comments: