29 March, 2006

Revel in the Night Blossoms...

Last night I went to take some pix of night cherry blossoms for my web site.
Wow, can't tell in words how admirable they were.
The place I visited this time was Rikugien, a former Daimyo (feudal lord) Garden in Japanese Style. Suddenly it flicked in my mind that the cherry illumination is until the 29th so I grabbed my camera and set off.

Actually it wasn't my first time to visit Rikugien. I once visited the garden last autumn to see the light-ups of the autumn leaves, and since it was so beautiful and I loved the garden then, I was in fact expecting a lot this time as well.
As I got off the JR Yamanote Line at Komagome station and walk just a bit, I found many people forming a line at the ticket office of Rikugien entrance. There weren't this many people for the autumn leaves, and it made me reaffirm the love of Japanese people for cherry blossoms.

After a few minutes walk from the entrance, the famous shidarezakura of Rikugien came into sight. Shidarezakura is a weeping cherry tree, and it literally means "a cherry tree with drooping branches". As famous as it is, this tree was truly beautiful. Shidarezakura usually blossom earlier than the representative of cherry blossoms Someiyoshino, so already at yesterday's point the tree was at full blossoming which of course is the most beautiful of all times.
My fingers unconsciously clicked the shutter so many times, and many other people around me were also taking dozens of pictures with their cameras and cell phones.
You can see the pictures that I've taken in the PHOTO section of Japan Mode.

Anyhoo, cherry blossoms are just so pretty! Faint yet colorful pink blossoms against the dark night sky... amazing. You really forget time, you know.

Unfortunately, the illumination of the cherry blossoms end today (29th) so those who're thinking of visiting Rikugien for something lit up, consider going there in autumn for the autumn foliage. They're equally beautiful. And even if you don't really stubbornly stick to "lit-up-something" do remember the name RIKUGIEN :-) It's definitely a place to visit when you come to Tokyo.

So here I go, off to the next sakura coverage :-D
Do check back this blog and Japan Mode for seasonal pix of Tokyo!


No comments: