07 March, 2006

What a moving news...

What I'm going to write about today is a little news in Japan. I think that the article probably won't be released in English or on overseas media, so I'm going to translate the article here:

"Marathoner Rios Gives His Gold Medal to a Wheelchair Girl"

Jose Rios (31, Spain), the 61st champion of the Biwako Mainichi Marathon held by Biwa Lake on Sunday, March 5th, gave his champion medal to a girl on a wheelchair after the race.
"I am so surprised, but very happy," said the girl to the unexpected gift. Being a great fan of Rios, this girl has always cheered him along the marathon course for 3 years.
"I knew she was always there and cheered for me when I ran. This time I wanted to cheer her for living so cheerfully overcoming the handicap she carries," Rios commented before leaving Kansai International Airport on the following day.

The girl's name is Mizuki Hozumi (14) a 9th grader at Dai-San Junior High School in Kita-Sakurazuka, Toyonaka City, Osaka Prefecture. For her cerebral paralysis she is forced to live her life on a wheelchair.
Her father being a civilian runner participating in many marathon races, the family has been cheering the Biwa Lake marathon every year since several years ago. Two years ago she cheered and waved to Rios, who was a first-timer participating in a full marathon and Rios waved back to her. Rios ran through the goal line with a good record of 2 hours and 7 minutes 42 seconds.

Ever since, she has become a fan of Rios and has cheered him last year and this year. After he passed by Mizuki, she went to the goal to congratulate him for winning the race. Rios soon found her waiting by the entrance of the goal stadium, went up to her with a great smile and gave her his shining gold medal.

"The medal must be a very important thing for him that would become a lifelong memory. I don't know if I really deserve to receive this..." worries Mizuki on the other hand. She is going to send him a thank you note very soon.


Isn't it a wonderful story? I think you're already as moved as I am. There's no need for me to leave my impression here!
Wow, I never imagined that there'd be an athelete this pleasant. God, he's such a hero to me. How can you directly give the gold medal you received a few minutes ago? Too cool!
I re-felt that sports give another emotion after the event as well as during one like this.
I feel like I want to know more about Jose Rios, but I can't get much info on him since he's still not that famous in Japan.

Let's hope he'll do well in the upcoming races too and cheer for him :-)

No comments: